Saturday 8 August 2009

Hope for the 21st Century


Who knows that God speaks to His prophets before He does anything? Who knows that, although we may no longer have prophets in the mould of Elijah or John the Baptist, nevertheless there are prophets today who are used by the Lord to convey His words, His warnings, His hope to the world before He allows things to happen? Why does He do that? I believe it is because above all things our God is a loving Father who gives hope to His children. “He so loved us, John 3:16, that He gave us His Son that WHOSOEVER believes in Him shall not die but SHALL have eternal life.” What else do you think Calvary was all about – it was to give us a hope for the future, a hope for our children, a hope for our grandchildren and the generations following them – always assuming He doesn’t return before then.

The signs of the times that Jesus spoke about in Matthew 16:1-4 “The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven. He replied, "When evening comes, you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,' and in the morning, 'Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.' You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a miraculous sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah." Jesus then left them and went away. “ There is a great deal in Christian media today about these “signs of the times” and I believe it is right that we are currently entering into the ‘last days’ spoken about in Daniel, spoken about in Ezekiel, and spoken about in Revelation. The one text that the Lord has given me is from Amos 8:11 “The days are coming," declares the Sovereign LORD, "when I will send a famine through the land— not a famine of food or a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD. “ These days are surely upon us right now as the world searches desperately for a word of hope – a word of comfort – a word of sanity amongst all the madness breaking out all around them. There are countless words coming out daily about the judgements of God upon this nation or that nation. There are countless words coming out daily about the doom and gloom; the financial disasters of a world monetary system in meltdown and on and on and on.


These are the signs of the times!!


These are the warnings given to the prophets before God acted. I first read of all this way back in the late 90’s – we were warned, but how many of us took too much notice.

I want to insert a word of personal testimony here. Back in April 2007, my darling wife was taken home to the Lord. My world was empty. Yet the Lord had told me to be like Ezekiel 24 – turban straight; shoes fastened; act and be normal – with the promise as to Ezekiel, that God would sustain me. Amazing thing happened – I did and God did !! People said how strong I was and how well I handled everything but to those with an ear to hear I told them the truth of it. I did my mourning in private and the Lord carried me through – to the world, triumphantly !! Then about 6 months later, the Lord told me to sell up and move !! I was 64 – what did I want to move for? I was planning to work through to 68-70!! Why give up a great little job and change everything?? Not only that, He said to retire early !! You gotta be joking. No – no jokes – He was serious. So I sold up, cashed in and moved to my current rented apartment. When it eventually came to retirement date, like everyone else in that position, my retirement plans were cashed in for annuities. These were not very big at all as I had started them late and had then been un-employed for over 10 years so they were small. Yet when they were cashed in, I got the maximum I could possibly have expected from them. Now hear this – just TWO DAYS after they were cashed in, the markets collapsed and I was standing pretty with my full pension. OK it was small but it was bigger than many in the same boat because the Lords timing for me was PERFECT. He had told me to move, He had told me to retire. I had done both and He took care of me in my obedience.

So what has all this got to do with today’s ‘signs of the times’; today’s ‘end times’ events. Well, today I heard a voice of hope – a voice of encouragement – a voice of faith. I listened to a man many of you know – David Wilkerson. He spoke about the hope, the love, the life we have in Jesus even in these desperate times. The Lord then spoke to me about His promises and of passing this Good News on to the world waiting so desperately to hear ‘the word of the Lord’ as spoken by Amos.

Firstly, our wonderful Father God is a loving God – John 3:16 says it all. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”


We can take all our cares to Him 1 Peter 5:7 because He cares for us.” Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”


He is the God who heals us Exodus 15:26, He said, "If you listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you."


He heals all our sickness and forgives all our sins, Psalm 103:1-3. “Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits - who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,”


By His wounds we ARE healed Isaiah 53:5. “But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.”


Our hope is in Him Hebrews 11:1.
“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. “

Please tell me how much more we need to be told these things and yet many still do not believe them.

Gods word is GOOD Numbers 23:19, “God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?”


His plans for us are GOOD Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”


He even gave us His phone number Jeremiah 33:3.
“Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”

If the Word of God does not lie, then these are all trustworthy sayings.

Listen to what the Lord is saying now –
“The days are coming when many shall turn to me. Those who doubt now, those who do not believe in Me now, those who have wandered off like lost sheep. I am raising a new end-time army of believers. Those who will believe despite what circumstances scream out to them; those who believe despite and whatever the world throws at them; those who will believe through the worst possible persecution – even unto death. The world is turning against Me”, says the Lord, “ but I already knew this before I laid the foundations of the earth. The world does not realise this, yet even if they did, yet they would still despise Me. And they will despise you too because you speak My Name – because you believe in Me and in the One I sent. Even so,” says the Lord, “because your hope is steadfast and is rooted in Me, yet will I uphold you; yet will I justify you even in the worlds eyes. Do not lose sight of My Kingdom for it shall be your reward. Do not bow the knee to anyone but My Son for He is your saviour. Always remember that I, the Lord God Almighty, love you and I am with you – even to the end of the age. I am your provider. I am your Father. I love you – even you.”

CGB August 7 2009
© Chris Bennett 2009



No comments:

Post a Comment