Friday 3 July 2009

21st Century Church

What is the 1st/21st century church? The Lord has been pouring His words into me. Its been a quite amazing couple of days.

So tonight, when a friend wrote about getting out of the comfort zone of our cosy Sunday meetings, the phrase "In the round" came leaping to the fore. Staggered by my own creative ability (NOT) and amazed by my ability to think deeply about those things on which I have either no experience or no knowledge whatsoever, or both, I took the road of last resort. "OK Lord", says I, "Please explain - what is 'in the round' supposed to be - please?"

He took me back to a period of my life when I was planning and (almost) booking the Millennium Stadium for an outreach meeting to celebrate the centenary of the Welsh Revival. OK - let me try to explain (this could be a bit disjointed)

When we read that any pop star is doing a concert or a well know evangelist has taken Wembley Arena or Stadium for a crusade, they either have the venue set up 'theatre' or 'in the round'. Theatre is the traditional way with the stage or platform set up at one side with access and egress handy for the 'star' to get on and off the stage. In the round on the other hand is much more daring - ask Louis Palau :o) In the round is when the 'platform is in the very centre of your venue completely surrounded by the audience. When Louis Palau did this once, "to be close to the people" there was such a crush he was trapped on the platform for a few hours. So 'in the round' in the sense of holding church meetings would be much more intimate and almost cabaret style in its set up.

So, I wondered, how would it work for a Sunday morning service. Well obviously the P&W team would need to be in their usual position - but, the meeting leader, pastor, and any visiting speaker, would need to be comfortable with with a roving mike (hand held or radio) AND be prepared to be right in the middle of the congregation amongst the people. Some will not be comfortable with this. THEN, because the congregation would be sitting at tables with coffee etc, we need to add their ability to go grab another coffee, nip out for a comfort break, and their general amusement and fascination with the new scheme of things and you just about have it.

Let me tell you here that the most successful meetings our ministry has had, has been when the speaker comes down from the platform and walks around or even sits amongst the audience. It is always much more intimate and personal - some would say its too close up and personal. However, every time we have done it, the people LOVE it because their pastor and the speaker is not aloof and far off - he/she "is right here amongst us."

Problem is space and venue - have you room for all the tables. Do you HAVE all the tables. Can it be done in the traditional setting in a standard church with rows of seats. And so on & on & on. Lots to pray about and consider. Yet . . . . .

I have to say that I am quite excited by this idea just sitting here typing this all out for you. I want to give it a go.

© Chris Bennett 2009

2 comments:

  1. As a group leader I absolutely love being able to be "in the round" and it's really all because the two congregations my family and I are partners with have that same feel and intimacy. I believe it's very important for those in the "seats" if you will, to know that we are people just like them and are no better. Likewise, I'd say it's just as important for the leaders to be reminded of this fact as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen John, its good to hear a positive first response Bless you bro.

    ReplyDelete