Wednesday 15 July 2009

How NOT to get Baptised in the Holy Spirit !!

My testimony of Holy Spirit Baptism is quite amazing.

I came to salvation in Dec 2nd 1962. Then, I ran away from God for 25 yrs 62-87 approx. In 1987 I started work in a town about 30 miles away. While there and during my lunch break, I met a now very good friend in the local Christian book shop. He welcomed me and offered me coffee - anyone who does that is a friend for life !! So we started to talk about things of Christianity and we had noticed a thing called the Baptism of the Holy Spirit which neither of us new a thing about. So we made a pact to study it as best we could and eventually, my friend came up with some meetings on Tuesday nights at a place about 20 more miles away.

It was called Roffey Place and was a Christian ministry run by a quite famous British priest and author, Colin Urquhart. (Doubt you've ever heard of him) Roffey had just started running a course on the Baptism so we joined quickly and eventually we both went forward for prayer to receive it.

Nothing happened. Not a thing. Zilch !!!

Colin's wife Diane prayed for me and she said, "Chris, you have received it. You just have to pick it up!!" Well I had no idea how to 'pick it up' but I prayed and I prayed. Still nothing !! About 7 or 8 months went past and I was driving to work one day when I prayed again for God to show me how to 'pick it up'.

I suddenly sensed the Lord say to me, 'OK, pull the car over.' At this point you need to understand that I was driving a very narrow country road with no room to accommodate parked cars, nowhere to park safely, and lots of traffic - just room for two lanes of cars - one in each direction.

"I cant, Lord. there's nowhere to stop."
"Pull over"
"Cant."
"Pull over."
"Cant"
And so, somewhat disappointed, I drove on to my destination knowing I had lost an opportunity. Next morning, the same thing happened.
"Lord, help me receive this baptism. PLEASE."
"Pull over."
"I cant, Lord. there's nowhere to stop."
"Pull over"
"Cant."
"Pull over."
"Cant"
"Lord - do I have to stop. Cant you just do it?"
Don't you love naive and foolish questions???

BANG !!

The Lord took me at my word and baptised me there and then. I was doing about 50mph at the time.

I was all over the place. I was shouting, singing, praising Him in other tongues. Speaking in English. Speaking in my new tongue. Speaking in English. Speaking in my new tongue again. Backwards and forwards - in a totally joyous party for 2 - Holy Spirit and ME - and the car was still doing 50mph.

Do you know - the next time I knew what was happening, I had pulled up in our work car park and put the handbrake on. I have no idea how or when I got there. I only know I arrived safely with no knowledge whatsoever of 40 minutes of driving through country lanes and villages. The Holy Spirit drove that car - I didn't know what day it was let alone have the nouse to drive a car properly.

That lunch time I went to the Christian Bookshop to meet my friend. He took one look at me - poured out coffee and closed the shop ! "OK," he said, "Its happened. I know that because your face is shining like gold. Tell me about it."

And that is how I came into the baptism of the Holy Spirit in July 1989. Isn't God wonderful. Hasn't He got a great sense of humour. He must have laughed at me that day - as well as taking joy and pleasure in fulfilling my hearts desire. What a wonderful God we serve.

Amen??

© Chris Bennett 2009

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome testimony and look how God is using it! From the moment we said "yes" to Jesus we became eligible to receive this wonderful gift of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and what an awesome gift He is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a tremendous, edifying, and humuurous testimony. God is wonderful. May He continue to bless you and move you into the gifts of the Spirit!

    ReplyDelete