Wednesday 1 July 2009

The 21st Century Gospel


Have we watered down the Gospel? I dont hear much about repenting and dying daily to self so He can be seen more clearly through us. Jesus gave us just two things – a cross so we can follow Him daily, and eternal life so that, if we run the race, we can be with Him forever.

Are we, the shepherds, guilty of tickling the ears of our flock and not feeding and cultivating them as we should. How the devil must laugh as we preach the world rather than preaching the Gospel or teaching from the Word. Feed the church meat not more milk.

The prosperity gospel is really 2 Tim 4:3-4 "the ear-ticklers gospel" - its what the audience wants to hear rather than whats needed. In my opinion, the prosperity gospel is evil - a ploy by the enemy to distract us from where we should be going. Only my opinion mind. I mean - you try preaching the prosperity gospel in Africa or India or China. It will then be the ridiculous gospel. What do you think ? The prosperity gospel is really 2 Tim 4:3-4 "the ear-ticklers gospel" – it is also not Biblical. Oh you can quote Jeremiah 29:11 ‘plans to prosper you’ etc – but did Jesus ever quote this passage? I think we frequently take it right out of context when applying it to ourselves. Am I off the wall here? Its a hard one. But it is definitely being used as an 'ear tickler' by some and that surely must be wrong??

We rarely, if ever, now hear of denying ourselves & taking up the cross as a true follower of Christ. I havent heard that message from the pulpit for years:( Right - Gods provision is one thing. Jesus actually said that It is harder for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven etc - To me, Prosperity gospel is mainly about greed for more and more – excess to our needs.

I believe God calls us into something. Being no mans debtor, He calls, He equips, He provides. SImple really. I believe there is a move towards a 1st century church in the 21st century. The first century church was about relationships – with God first, then with each other. Its beginning here too. Is this the new move of God ?? Thats it - return to our first love; the joy of our salvation. Rev 3 - How I wish you were hot or cold etc. We've grown lukewarm. I also believe the days of the mega-church are numbered. The Lord has been showing me this of late. Smaller is better it seems. Amen??

God is NOW replacing ritual with relationship.

© Chris Bennett 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment